Skip to Content Skip to Main Navigation

History

The story of St Andrew’s in Oxshott

21 November 1904:

Local residents consider ‘what steps can be taken towards providing a Chapel of Ease or Church at Oxshott’.

 
24 May 1904:

Plans for a temporary church are approved, and land is donated by Basil Pym Ellis, owner of the Bevendean estate.

 
November 1905:

The temporary church is complete.

St Andrew's 1905
May 1909:

Fund raising starts for a new permanent structure as the congregation has outgrown the temporary building.

 
22 June 1910:

Oxshott village fete organised to raise funds for the new church.

Oxshott village fete
Late 1910:

Architect’s drawings are finalised, with consideration for future growth.

St Andrew's
25 May 1911:

The foundation stone is laid by the Duchess of Albany who lived at Claremont.

Foundation stone
30 March 1912:

Bishop of Winchester and others go in for the Consecration Service.

Bishop of Winchester
26 June 1912:

Princess Alexander of Teck arrives to open a fund raising event for the new structure.

Princess Alexander of Teck
1955:

Chairs are replaced with new pews made from Japanese oak, and several are dedicated to the memory of Oxshott residents.

St Andrew's interior
1955:

St Andrew’s.

St Andrew's
1960:

St Andrew’s

St Andrew's
1967:

Confirmation group.

Confirmation group
1968:

Last push to complete a permanent structure is underway. Better facilities are designed making St Andrew’s as it is today.

 
1968:

Confirmation group.

Confirmation group
September 1968:

Church flower festival.

Flower festival
4 October 1970:

Harvest supper in the new church hall.

Harvest supper
1971:

Summer play scheme.

Summer play scheme
1974:

Confirmation group.

Confirmation group
Late 1970s:

Youth Group meeting.

Youth group
September 2014:

Church refurbishment completed.

Canon EOS 6D_IMG_3695
2015:

St Andrew’s today.

St Andrew's