According to research commissioned by the Church of England, six people in seven believe in the power of prayer. Prayer is a powerful force and there is nothing we can’t pray about.
Sometimes it helps to pray with others, and there are many opportunities to pray with people from the St Andrew’s community outside regular Sunday worship.
- In a home group: A friendly, relaxed setting and an opportunity to talk about the Bible and pray together. There are several groups meeting weekly and fortnightly, daytime and evening, at different houses. Everyone is very welcome to join a house group, whatever your age or the stage of your Christian journey.
- Saturday mornings: Every week at 8.30am a group gathers in church for prayer and reflection. All are welcome to come.
- Monthly prayers for the parish: In addition, there are evening prayers, usually on the last Thursday of each month (check the church calendar) at which everyone is welcome to come and pray for the needs of the parish.
The following prayer meetings are scheduled in the next few weeks:- No Events
If you need a quiet place to pray on your own then do drop into the church. The Lady Chapel provides a quiet sanctuary for prayer and reflection, and coffee is available at Coffee Corner weekdays from 8.30am-12 noon.
If you would like the St Andrew’s community to pray for yourself or someone in need, please either contact the Parish Office or write their names in the intercessions book at the church and their names will be included in the intercession prayers. If you prefer, you may use the form below.
- The St Andrew’s weekly news includes a prayer for people to use in their own prayer time and to use as a basis for intercession in all the various church groups. The weekly news is also available in the church vestibule.
- Guildford Diocese publish a Calendar of Prayer which includes daily prayers for parishes in two of the Guildford deaneries each month.
- Daily Prayers are also available on the Church of England website.
Books on prayer
There are some great books that help you pray too. A couple of recommendations are:
- Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God, by Timothy Keller
- Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? by Phillip Yancy
Now is the time to get the Power of Prayer into your life!
A prayer for Oxshott
Loving Heavenly Father, we thank you that you have called us together to be faithful witnesses to the Gospel in Oxshott, we pray that we may show our gratitude for your grace at work in us as our love overflows to those around us and beyond; we pray that by your Spirit we may discern your purposes for us here and that we may be filled with joy as we serve one another and you; through Him who came not to be served but to serve, Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Prayer request form
If you would like to request a prayer, you may use this form: